Have you ever felt ‘small’? As if you weren’t able to overcome the obstacle that life brought your way? You begin to think you are useless. Worthless. You think things will never get resolved and there’s nothing you can do about it.
What is the result of this way of thinking? You will not make any effort to get out of the situation. Because you think it makes no sense.
We thus end up in a vicious circle from which it is difficult to get out. And it just makes things harder. Can we do something then? Yes! We can change our way of thinking. Read on and discover the positive effects of personal empowerment!
What is Personal Empowerment?
When we enter a spiral of learned helplessness, our situation only gets worse. Feeling that we don’t have the power to change things undermines our physical and mental health.
Yes, it can be very difficult to overcome the adversities in life. Difficult, but not impossible.
If someone were to tell us that life would be full of roses because we have good intentions, he would be lying. But the little devil on our shoulder who tells us everything will go wrong is also wrong.
Happiness is actually a result of balance. We rarely find this balance if we don’t use our inner strength and the strength outside us. It’s a matter of willpower… but also of ability and intelligence.
What are we talking about? Usually things don’t change on their own. It is very important that we see ourselves as valuable human beings.
That way we can refocus the power we talked about, and find balance. That is it. But we should also not forget that many things are beyond our willpower. This is important. Because if we try to control everything, we will exhaust ourselves.
Specifically, personal empowerment means seeing yourself as someone who is able to make decisions and deal with the different situations that may arise.
During this process, it is fundamental that you see that discomfort does not only come from external things. No, it is also an inner process that you can control and control.
How can we promote personal empowerment?
For a person to see themselves that way, they must have a good amount of self-esteem. Developing a positive self-image means that we will have more confidence in our abilities. And we will rely on our power to change everything we don’t like.
That said, our self-image must match reality. We are not doing ourselves any favors if we create expectations that are too high for us. That is how we will exhaust ourselves.
So it is extremely important that we know ourselves well and are aware of our strengths and weaknesses. To get ourselves in this position and with this character, we have to put ourselves to the test.
If we don’t take risks, it will be difficult to move forward. Confronting reality helps us to see that our problems are rarely as bad as we thought. And that we have the skills we need to overcome the obstacles. If we try and fail, we can see that we’ve done it wrong and adjust it so we can get a better result next time.
What does personal empowerment look like?
Finally, let’s take a look at the characteristics we notice in an empowered person. This person…
- informs himself and tries to learn about the topics that interest him.
- tries to train himself and acquire new skills.
- takes its responsibility.
- knows and accepts.
- has a healthy level of self-esteem and confidence.
- realizes how important it is to take care of yourself.
- knows what his social relations look like, and takes care of those that are worth it. But never gets in the way, and seeks balanced relationships without toxic emotional dependence.
- realizes the importance of setting boundaries in his interpersonal relationships.
- is able to plan time, prioritize goals, needs and priorities.
- knows how to make decisions.
- tries to resolve conflicts in such a way that it works best for everyone involved.
- communicates by using his social skills and exercising his assertiveness. And does so while always taking into account the rights of other people, but also his own rights.
Above all, through personal empowerment, we will be better able to live in harmony with ourselves and with others. Our relations will get more quality. Let’s find the strength within ourselves!